Tuesday, March 31, 2009

CBYX meeting in Indianapolis

Just yesterday I went to a very interesting meeting: Four members of the Bundestag (the German parliament) had come to the United States to meet with members of the CBYX program (my exchange program) to talk about experiences, good things and problems that had to be resolved. The meeting was organized by the German Consulate General and held in Indianapolis, IN. My hostfamily had to work and was therefore not able to come but fortunately I could get a ride with the hostfamily of another German exchange student of the same program who also lives in Lexington. The ride was very nice, about 3 hours and I got to see one more state where I had not been before. Overall I have been to 10 states now; I’m collecting them pretty quickly! Finally we arrived in Indianapolis; we didn’t have to wait long till the meeting started.


After a good lunch with some delicious cake for dessert we had several hours of constructive talk with the members of the parliament, so did our host parents who had accompanied most of us to the meeting. Many students told of great experiences and were very happy with their year but some others told stories which were very scary and frightening and those in particular just proved to me again that, even though I might have some problems, overall I am having good experiences and there are no real reasons to complain.

The best thing about the meeting (even better than the food) was that I could meet with some of my friends from the exchange program again whom I had not seen since I had arrived in Kentucky in August, that was just great and of course very emotional. The time was far too short to do all the talking that we would have liked to do but we will meet again at the end of the year, and hopefully we will than have more time.


After some very interesting, happy and exciting hours, it was time to go back down south to Kentucky and we could get some more impressions of the Indiana countryside (No.1 flat as a pancake; No.2 farms, farms, farms). The beautiful spring weather just contributed to a great day that truly enhanced my spring break.

No comments:

Post a Comment